Sunday, July 16, 2023

Ain't Wasting Time

 

Another week and time for another trip down classic rock music’s Memory Lane.  This week’s 60’s and 70’s radio, turntable, cassette, and 8 track theme is “time.”  Whether it was the Chambers Brothers’ “Time Has Come Today,” The Allman Brothers’ “Ain’t Wasting Time,” David Bowie’s “Changes,” or Pink Floyd’s “Time,” as the years have gone by, each has moved me toward reflection.  Life's experiences have opened my mind so the messages of their words is much different today than they were back when I was “dropping the needle.” 

 


My mom died when she was 59 years old.  I remember thinking when I turned 58, if my mom knew she only had one year to live when she was 58, would she have spent her last year any different than she did?  My dad passed away in 2012.  He was 78.  He was the last of his generation in our family.  My grandparents are gone.  All of my aunts and uncles have passed away.  My immediate family now consists of brothers, sons and my wife Jodi.  My extended family is made up of cousins, nieces, and nephews.  You know what that means.  My cousin Brian, as much a friend growing up as a cousin, laid it out after my dad’s death – we are now at the front of the line.  We are the next generation that will pass.  Never thought of it that way before.  But instead of dreading it, I thought about the time that remains and how I want to spend it.




What I can tell you is that since that revelation, I’ve become more protective of time.  I’ve taken the Allman Brothers’ words to heart.  That is, “I ain’t wasting time no more.”  Not that I’ve ever been a big “time waster,” but I’ve come to realize there is so much more I can do.  With my family.  My friends.  My work team.  My professional network.  My community.  The students we serve. 

 


Most importantly, I’ve learned that with time, there is no guarantee – no guarantee of next year, next month, next week or tomorrow.  It’s a precious commodity.  And when we waste it, time is something we can never get back.  I have only so much time left to do whatever it is I want or am supposed to accomplish.  Only so much time to serve.  Only so much time to love.

 

So, what does this have to do with this week’s Director Update? As administrators and educators, we live in a professional world that is constantly looking ahead.  Most likely we are looking forward to the next school year – planning in-service, finalizing schedules, checking enrollment, lining up workers and volunteers for events, and so on.  Then we’ll look toward that first day of classes, the first concert, the first athletic events.  Before you know it we will have our eyes on Christmas break, then spring break and ultimately graduation and the end of another year.  We spend so much time looking ahead, we lose sight of how quickly the days go by. The question is, what are we going to do with those days?  Will we cross them off the calendar, treating them like a to do list?  Or will we resolve to make the most of each and every one of them?  Will we act like our days are endless or will we realize they could end at any moment? 

 


I’ve heard the question about whether we’d like to know the exact day our life will be over or prefer to not know.  Although it may seem counter intuitive, I prefer not to know because the uncertainty motivates me to take advantage of every minute since it could be my last. 




When my time comes, I’d like to be known as someone who didn’t waste time – not in the sense that I never relaxed or had fun, but instead that I was intentional about how I spent my time and who I spent it with.  As educators, we spend our lives teaching and serving.  I’m inspired by so many of you who are so giving, so loving, so committed to serve, that nothing stands in your way.

 

As a professional community, let’s show ourselves, each other, and those we serve that we are never satisfied with what we’ve done.  It’s all about what’s left to do.  We won’t waste time.  We won’t cross off our days.  We won’t take time for granted.  We will make the most of every precious moment.  Because every one of those moments can make a difference.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment