Sunday, March 26, 2023

Appreciation for Everyone

 I am a work in progress.  I will be until the day I die.  There is no denying that I, like everyone else in this world, “get better or worse” every day.  I (and we) never stay the same.  I remind students, parents, coaches, administrators and our staff of that reality.  To that end, I continually look for areas of my own personal and professional life where I can improve.  If I don’t, even my strengths can regress to less than effective levels.


The past week, a particularly stressful one for me, brought this reality to my door.  I was disappointed in the way I was tempted to respond to folks who interrupted me, challenged me or operated in a way that required my intervention.  I longed for interaction with our “rock stars,” those administrators, coaches, and IHSAA staff members who have amazing talents, inspire others, solve problems and in effect, “get it.”  They are in education and the world of activities because they are deeply committed to enhancing the high school experience of every student.  They live the paraphrased John F. Kennedy challenge of, “Ask not what your (school/community/organization) can do for you; ask what you can do for it!”  They are “team first” thinkers with a focus on what's best for our schools and the students they serve.  And that means all students – not just the most talented, the best behaved, the most responsible.  These are administrators, coaches, and staff members who colleagues and students gravitate toward.  Parents appreciate them.  The community respects them.  You know the kind.  As leaders, we dream of an entire organization full of them.  And that is what got me thinking.

If it is “rock star” coaches we want for our students, shouldn’t we strive to be “rock star” leaders for those we serve – all of them?  It’s easy to be available, to spend time with, to listen and respond to the brightest, most motivated, most involved, most positive members of our staff.  In short, it’s easy to give the best the “best of us.”  But what about the “emerging” team members of our schools and organizations?  What about those who struggle?  What about those who are less than satisfied?  Do they not deserve the “best of us?”  Sure they do.

In 1991 I was fortunate to be a featured speaker at a volleyball coaches clinic just outside Chicago.  I was asked to present along with Steve Shondell (a legendary high school and now college coach) from Muncie, Indiana and Steve Lowe (former coach at the University of Wisconsin).   I did my thing and then stayed around to learn from two of America’s best volleyball minds.  Steve Lowe presented and all I remember was being mesmerized by his infectious passion, enthusiasm and love for what he was doing.  He wowed the crowd. 


Then it was Steve Shondell’s turn.  Before he began his presentation, he told us he needed to share something about Coach Lowe.  One of Steve Shondell’s players from Muncie Burris High School, a high school All-American by the name of Angie Meyer, had just completed her freshmen year at Wisconsin playing Badger volleyball for Steve Lowe.  Shondell shared that Angie Meyer didn’t start for the Badgers, didn’t play a significant role for them and in fact rarely got into a match that freshmen year.  She was an All-American who was riding the bench.  When she returned home for Christmas break, her high school coach asked, “How did it go?” knowing full well that she must have been disappointed.  To his surprise, she told him that it was one of the best volleyball experiences she ever had.  How could that be?  She explained that, despite being a freshmen, despite not starting or playing much, Coach Lowe made her feel as if she was the most important player in the gym.  He coached her like she was a starter.  Spoke to her like she was his favorite player.  Talked her up to others as if she was headed for stardom.  He valued her.  Not because she had talent, not because she could help his team win, not because she did what she was supposed to.  He valued her simply because she was a player on his team and he was her coach.  His responsibility was to her and every other member of the Wisconsin volleyball program – including managers, statisticians, trainers, secretaries, assistant coaches, fans, boosters and anyone else connected with the Badgers.  Steve Shondell stated that quite frankly, he aspired to be the kind of coach to his players and staff that Steve Lowe was to his.  Steve Shondell was not alone because after that story, I too aspired to be like Steve Lowe.



I drove home from Chicago that day with only one thing in mind.  I was going to change the way I led my teams and I was going to change the way I taught my classes.  I was so moved by what Steve Shondell had shared about Coach Lowe that I committed myself to providing an exceptional experience for all who played for me and all who took my class.  I decided that “second-teamers” and JV players deserved the “best of me” just as the varsity “first-teamers” did.  Students who struggled, students who were less than motivated and students who challenged me deserved the “best of me” just as the “A” students, the most compliant and most responsible did.  I “chose” to like them all, work with them all, care about them all and help them all.  And what a difference it made!



When I changed my approach, the students and athletes I worked with changed their response.  It is such a simple thing to realize but such a difficult one to trust – when we value others and treat them accordingly, they “buy in” to what we want them to accomplish.  I can honestly say that once I experienced the epiphany of committing to everyone I worked with, the results were phenomenal.  Forget the number of championships, all-staters, all-americans, “A” students, and future psychology majors that emerged from our programs.  I’m talking about the day to day stuff.  The incredible effort, the laughter, the problem-solving, the deep level of discussion, the feeling of belonging, the infection of “we can,” the pure satisfaction of pushing ourselves to the limit – that’s what was so rewarding.  I was a happier coach.  They were happier students and athletes.  And, amazing as it may seem, whining disappeared and the number of dissatisfied parent phone calls dropped to almost nil.

I left the classroom for administration in 1997 when I became the Activities Director at Wahlert High School.  I’ve continued my administrative journey as a high school principal for fifteen years and now as Executive Director of the IHSAA.  Along the way I have had to remind myself of the lesson I learned in 1991 at a coaches clinic outside Chicago.  I have had to remind myself that, as one of my outstanding teachers and coaches was prone to say, “It ain’t about me.”  It’s about them – all of them.  It’s about the coaches, directors, moderators, administrators, administrative assistants, students, parents and community members that I interact with every day.  Because the reality is, in their own way, they are all “rock stars.”  I just have to find a way to shine the light on them.  They deserve my time, they deserve my attention, they deserve my support. 

Steve Lowe had a profound impact on me and my experience as a teacher and a coach – an impact that remains with me today.  I didn’t know on that day that Steve Lowe would die less than a year later at the age of 35.  More importantly, I didn’t realize that his effect on me would last a lifetime and that he would impact so many people through me.  I owe it to Steve Lowe to continue to evaluate and improve the way I relate to those with whom I work every day.  It is a debt I intend to honor.

Tom Keating


No comments:

Post a Comment